Week 34: Why it's great to let your baby struggle with the Ball Drop Box
(7 month old baby explores the Montessori Ball Drop Box)
At first, your baby will likely not be able to get the ball into the Ball Drop Box. It takes a lot of practice and coordination. Watch as baby Eric takes the challenge!
Here are some ways to get started:
- Show your baby the ball, name it, then drop the ball into the Ball Drop Box in your baby’s view so that the ball quickly disappears then reappears.
- Help him try; if the ball misses the hole, see if he reaches to try and get it.
- Resist getting the ball for him right away—reaching across his body while sitting helps him develop balance and gross motor skills.
- He’s practicing grasping and releasing on purpose as he tries to drop the ball in the box (a skill he will continue to develop throughout his first year).
- Have him experiment with the wood and felt balls. The wood ball reliably comes out of the box and makes a loud noise, while the felt ball doesn’t make a sound and sometimes stays hidden in the box.